Publisher : Blanchon
Date : Before 1904 (back undisclosed)
The castle of Saint-Maixent was demolished in 1880 for the construction of the Military academy. It had been built more than 6 centuries before by Louis VIII, in 1224.
It was enclosed by a surrounding wall of 46 m. by 40, flanked by a defensive tower at each corner. Two other towers framed the entrance facing in the city . On the opposite facade, in front of swamp, a large buttress tower dominated the landscape.
The legend attributes the construction of the latter to the fairy Mélusine:
En cel an fist la dame belle
Le bourg et chasteau de Mesle
Après fist Vouvant et Mervent
Et puis la tour de Saint-Maixent 1
(1) - Mélusine, poem extracted from the Livre de Lusignan ou Roman de Mélusine, writen in the xive century by Couldrette, published in 1854 in Niort, at Robin et Favre. Quoted by J. Foulchier in Saint Maixent ... l'École, on 1989, Saint Jean d'Angély, Bordesoulles.