Publisher : Furbault
Photographer : Furbault
Date : 1910
The crypt built in the 7th / 8th centuries is perfectly preserved. For a long time forgotten, it was rediscovered in 1875 by Alfred Richard, archivist of the department of La Vienne.
At the bottom of a staircase, it is composed of two parallel corridors, a big arched rectangular room of juxtaposed cradle vaults resting on massive pillars.
Besides its historic past, it presents another curiosity : the presence of several graffiti made by American soldiers, with their names and addresses written or engraved. A contingent of 3000 American soldiers stayed at Saint-Maixent from the end of 1917.